Saturday 23 September 2017

Health & Wealth!


Health and Wealth - What's the Connection?

People want coaching on all sorts of subjects including career, confidence, self esteem, weight loss or just a need to reconnect with themselves after retirement.

The fascinating common theme that threads through all of these issues for me is health, well-being and balance.  If you want to change your life for the better such as get a new job, the obstacle can often be your attitude and approach to your health and well-being. So for me as a Coach, this is often the starting point - to get my clients to recognise that when they prioritise their health and well-being, the rest slots into place so much more easily and things start to happen - quickly!

So how does this work and what on earth is Coaching?  Well, it's not counselling that's for sure.  Life coaching is a transformational and inspirational process that aims to bridge the gap between where a person is now and where they want to be. It recognises that we all have limiting beliefs and patterns of thinking that can hold us back and often those patterns are just beliefs we have adopted over the years that may have been helpful once, but are no longer useful.  Coaching combined with a mindfulness approach can help us rise above these thoughts and tap into a more helpful way of thinking which highlights many more options than we would have otherwise seen.

However, as a Meditation Teacher, I always help my clients develop a more mindful approach to life so it's not all about goal setting for me, it's enjoying the journey and being present in your life here and now.

So when I talk about health and wealth, I really do mean that the two go together.  To have a wealth of opportunity, to make a comfortable living and enjoy life to it's maximum, your priority and your starting point, has to be your health. 

I'll give you an example.  A while ago, I worked with a teacher who will obviously remain anonymous but we will call her Mrs P.  She was depressed, anxious and completely worn out as a teacher and found the workload overwhelming and he was basically demoralised.  Mrs P wanted coaching to overcome these feelings and also to manage her workload better.  She was surprised when I suggested we do a lifestyle analysis. When I worked as a past Health Trainer for the NHS,  the part of the job I enjoyed the most in terms of giving motivational and behavioural support, was that light bulb moment when someone recognised that looking after themselves was the key to a successful life.  It was exactly the same in this case.  Huge amounts of caffeine, high sugar diet, not having a proper lunch break, being completely inactive during the day were just a few of the issues that were highlighted immediately.

So during our first few sessions, me and Mrs P tackled together the lifestyle thing and she started to acknowledge that she prioritised everyone else's health and lives (her children, her pupils, her husband, her friends) above her own.  So a shift in thinking and self -belief was needed but she did it.  She started to feel more in control of her eating/health which in turn increased her energy,  confidence, motivation and the rest as they say is history..............let's just say she approached work differently from then on and actually started to enjoy it. 

 Mrs P also lost a shed load of weight too and this made her feel good.  She was able to keep the weight off because she tackled the lifestyle as a whole - it wasn't a diet. She learned to balance her caring for others with the need to prioritise her own health and this was the key here. Of course, the pressure and workload was still overwhelming at times, but she approached it differently, and it didn't de-rail her like it used to.

How many Mrs Ps are out there and can relate to this?  I don't want to stereotype or make assumptions but my experience and knowledge tell me that this is something around gender and how women view themselves and their own health.  But of course some men do this too.   Interesting isn't it?  Alarming isn't it?
We all do go off track of course from time to time.  My mum recently died and to say I went off track is an understatement.  I had to take some time out of work and reconnect with myself and I found that difficult.  But the coaching and meditation helped me get back on track quicker than I would have done before.  It was scary to meditate when I was in the midst of my grief - I was so scared to be sat with my thoughts but focusing back on my health - looking after myself, enjoying being outdoors - it all helps, it really does. Yes, I put a bit of weight on during all of that but I am being kind to myself, focusing on the lifestyle rather than the weight and dieting.  I have set myself a challenge to walk the South West Coastal Path - apparently it's 614 miles so it might take a while.  Have walked a few parts already and I can say that walking along the coast line and in the countryside has really helped with my grief. 
I'm looking forward to working with my coaching and meditation clients again after losing my mum.  It's time for me to get back on track myself.  I am really excited about my new course:  Meditation for Health and Well-being which starts on 10th November.  A 4 week course combining meditation, mindful living techniques and life coaching.  Can't wait to be doing the stuff I love again.

Back to health and wealth then - can you see the connection?  What would be your first step? Fancy joining me on my journey?


No comments:

Post a Comment